Inspired to find out more about munafiqs in Islam, I googled the term and found several definitions:
- “religious hypocrite who outwardly practices Islam while inwardly concealing his disbelief (kufr), perhaps even unknowingly.”. - Wikipedia
- “hypocritical and villainous people as they pretend to be believing although they do not”. - The Unjust Media
- “hypocrite” - Islamic Dictionary
The Hypocrites will be in the lowest depths of the Fire: no helper will you find for them
In the Quran itself an entire chapter is dedicated in delineating the hypocrites, cautioning us of their penetration into our unsuspecting society like a camouflaging chameleon disguising itself as one of us.
Al-Munafiqun (The Hypocrites) (63: 1-11)
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
- When the Hypocrites come to you, they say, “We bear witness that you are indeed the Messenger of Allah.” Yes, Allah knows that you are indeed His Messenger, and Allah bears witness that the Hypocrites are indeed liars.
- They have made their oaths a screen (for their misdeeds): thus they obstruct (men) from the Path of Allah: truly evil are their deeds.
- That is because they believed, then they rejected Faith: so a seal was set on their hearts: therefore they understand not.
- When you look at them, their exteriors please you; and when they speak, you listen to their words. they are as (worthless as hollow) pieces of timber propped up, (unable to stand on their own). They think that every cry is against them. They are the enemies; so beware of them. The curse of Allah be on them! How are they deluded (away from the Truth)!
- And when it is said to them, “Come, the Messenger of Allah will pray for your forgiveness,” they turn aside their heads, and you would see them turning away their faces in arrogance.
- It is equal to them whether you pray for their forgiveness or not. Allah will not forgive them. Truly Allah guides not rebellious transgressors.
- They are the ones who say, “Spend nothing on those who are with Allah's Messenger, to the end that they may disperse (and quit Madinah).” But to Allah belong the treasures of the heavens and the earth; but the Hypocrites understand not.
- They say, “If we return to Madinah, surely the more honorable (element) will expel there from the meaner.” But honor belongs to Allah and His Messenger, and to the Believers; but the Hypocrites know not.
- O you who believe! Let not your riches or your children divert you from the remembrance of Allah. If any act thus, the loss is their own.
- And spend something (in charity) out of the substance which We have bestowed on you, before death should come to any of you and he should say, “O my Lord! Why did you not give me respite for a little while? I should then have given (largely) in charity, and I should have been one of the doers of good.”
- But to no soul will Allah grant respite when the time appointed (for it) has come: and Allah is well-acquainted with (all) that you do.